It All Began on October 8, 1898 with Reverend Daniel Washington
Mount Hope Baptist Church
Founded October 1898
Mount Hope Baptist Church was organized on October 8, 1898 by Reverend Daniel Washington. On October 14, 1899, approximately two acres of land was purchased. The building of Mount Hope Baptist Church commenced soon thereafter.
On September 29, 1986, the Reverend Raymond Asaph Bell, Jr. was installed as the eighth pastor of Mount Hope Baptist Church. Under his leadership, and by the grace of God, the membership has grown tremendously. Pastor Bell has led the church in the development and implementation of a broad range of Christian education programs designed to meet the spiritual, instructional, recreational and fellowship needs of the men, women and children of Mount Hope Baptist Church.
Under Pastor Bell’s guidance, the historical church was renovated and the current church facility was built to include Mount Hope Academy. The mortgage for the current sanctuary was burned on October 9, 2011. Additional land has since been purchased for the establishment of our future church campus.